Sunday 10 April 2011

Indigenous Rugby League game

Indigenous Rugby League Game!!
This Sunday I went to an Indigenous Rugby League game at the Coogee Oval. The only other rugby games I have watched have been between club teams at my home university in Connecticut. The games that I have seen have all been rugby union so my experience at the Rugby League game was vastly different.

The first difference I noticed was the size of the field. The rugby league field was larger, yet skinnier, and had different markings. The second thing I noticed was the different amounts of points allotted for tries. A try is worth 5 points in rugby union and 4 points in rugby league. I addition, there are different points awarded for drop goals and penalty goals. Lastly, I noticed that in the rugby union games that I have watched, someone gets lifted up to receive the ball that is being thrown onto the field. That did not happen in the rugby league game.

There are other differences between the two types of rugby games that I did not notice while watching the few games that I have been to. I look forward to seeing a professional union game to further my understanding and appreciation for the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment